The above mentioned cards should be no more than 40/50 bucks (more for the
gigabit one) so i believe it's a good idea to get one.

Best Regards,

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 7:35 AM, Paul Nelson <nelsonp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would contact Larry Bolhuis and ask if he has one of the real Ethernet
cards. I don't recall the part number.

lbolhuis@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(616) 260-4746

Paul Nelson
Cell 708-670-6978
Office 512-392-2577
nelsonp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Paul Raulerson
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 11:03 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: ISeries Expert near Austin?

Just touching back on this subject with the group - thanks to some able
assistance in the local area, I was able to successfully load and license
the iSeries 820 we were able to acquire to version 5.4. All that works
nicely - except - there was no ethernet card in the machine. I thought that
there was, but that tuned out to the the console port. How embarrassing..

I was able to configure up an old PC with an IBM 5250 Express PCI card
which
comes with TCP/IP over twin axial drivers, and that works okay to a degree.
I seem to have managed to configure it so that only one TCP Session at a
time can happen. It can happen from anywhere on the network, but only one
session makes it kinda rough. The docs for the card hint at multi-session
capability, but I have no ideal if that means SNA sessions only, or if the
TCP/IP stack can handle multiple requests. I would hope the latter, but
greatly

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Network looks like this:

iSeries [192.168.20.1] <---> WinNT 4 [192.168.20.4]

[192.168.10.40] <<------->> Internal network

The NT machines routes between the 192.168.10.X network and the rest of the
world.
Yours,
-Paul