So instead of "I can get" as a statement, the question is "How can I get"; i.e. consistent with what seemingly was attempted to be implied in the "Subject:" line [but a /date field/ is not an option for a flat-file].

Because there is no embedded SQL for CL, and the WHERE-clause in the SQL SELECT shown, why not just use the CL RCVF which is the CL interface to the database? For example:

DCLF admadmrec /* flat file with same name for Fmt and Fld */
RCVF /* a /defined/ declaration for &var could eliminate CHGVAR */
chgvar &var %sst(&admadmrec 9 8)

There are other and probably better ways, but contained solely within the CLP, that is quite simple and /fits/ within the language.

Of course given much fuller details about the overall scenario and what is by-definition already established and unchanging, along with the other /requirements/ [like those unchanging things are], some better ideas might be able to be offered. As it is now, the reader has no idea of the background and goals; e.g. how or why the flat-file is being created and thus the reader can not suggest if that data might better be stored in a data area or ???

Regards, Chuck