On 26 Feb 2013 12:46, Matt Olson wrote:
Why does it need to be object based?

Not a /need/ Just that if it were, that could resolve the issue. The point was to emphasize that the IBM i OS, which is object-based, would not be fooled by what is the /object type/ just because the name did not match some pre-supposed naming convention. I am pretty sure nobody has renamed a program such that henceforth EDTF or SQL was able to access the instruction stream as file data;-)

A good image viewing program won't care what the file extension is
and interrogate the file header to determine what type of file it
is.

Yet another strange concept; that the data in a file should define the /type of file/ :-( I am sure someone with a virus to spread is happy about that design however.

That concept is just a progression from the recognition that "file-extensions are not good enough". So instead, the data must tell the application what the data is. While that can work mostly, the inherent flaw is conspicuous; i.e. the application fails with "Well, it looked like what I know how to deal with, but somehow I got lost processing this data and have now given up gracefully and thus presented a nice message [or perhaps more likely as I have seen described and have even experienced, a nasty crash] ;-) "

If anything is the blame here it's content manager for completely
bastardizing the files, storing overlays in an undocumented format,
and only allowing 8 meta data fields to fill in data into!

I know too little to comment intelligently... As my first reply apparently had already revealed :-)

Regards, Chuck

CRPence Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:34 PM
Ah. So having suggested the name is "like B01291AA.BID" is even
more variable that I had inferred from the description. Ah well. If
the PC OS was object-based, it would be moot. Such a strange
concept that a file extension should define the /type/ of object
:-(

So I guess double-clicking the file name, even on the PCs with the
CM client installed will have no idea what to do with the .BID
file? And the only way to deal with the managed content is via the
view provided by the CM client.?