But, of course, this is a somewhat silly discussion... because IBM i doesn't have a feature where you can just say "look at the object type and do the right thing", and Windows doesn't have an object-based file system.

So nobody wins.

But, I agree with Chuck... this random extension thing doesn't exactly give me warm fuzzy feelings about content-manager.

On 2/26/2013 2:46 PM, Matt Olson wrote:
Why does it need to be object based? A good image viewing program won't care what the file extension is and interrogate the file header to determine what type of file it is.

If anything is the blame here its content manager for completely bastardizing the files, storing overlays in an undocumented format, and only allowing 8 meta data fields to fill in data into!

-----Original Message-----
From: CRPence [mailto:CRPbottle@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:34 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: view ifs image and specify viewer with strpccmd

Ah. So having suggested the name is "like B01291AA.BID" is even more variable that I had inferred from the description. Ah well. If the PC OS was object-based, it would be moot. Such a strange concept that a file extension should define the /type/ of object :-(

So I guess double-clicking the file name, even on the PCs with the CM client installed will have no idea what to do with the .BID file? And the only way to deal with the managed content is via the view provided by the CM client.?

Regards, Chuck