Re: SSD Best practices

fixed

Ken,

Fundamentally I agree, more RAM is better, however, that depends on the problem that is being solved. If the performance issue is a series of wait states on storage access, more RAM will not help, only more and faster storage access or a change to the program will help. The question is, and I think Sue or Dawn may have expressed it, what is causing the wait states that are slowing the system down? Once the wait states are understood, then get the hardware/software to correct it.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects

On 2/14/2013 10:25 PM, Ken Sims wrote:
>if I would have, for example, 32GB main storage and 2TB of disk
>What would be be better bang for the buck:
>
>I could upgrade my main storage to 128GB or 256GB for the same price
>I could get 512GB of SDD???
Unless there was actually a need for more DASD, personally I would
lean for as RAM as I could afford.

Ken