Re: What good is ILE?

fixed

Hmm. In the QuestView product, we were using a sort of a cobbled-together OPM version of a service program before there was such a thing as a service program, or such a thing as ILE: such "pseudo-service-programs" take an opcode to determine which routine to invoke. And even though the server on our Wintouch product is almost entirely written in ILE (both C and RPG), it still has an OPM MI "pseudo-service-program" that contains a number of routines that we prefer to keep in OPM MI.

And that, I think, brings up another strength of ILE that I don't think anybody else has mentioned yet: it allows you to incorporate mixed languages in a single PGM or SRVPGM object, whereas in OPM, if you want to combine multiple languages in order to accentuate their strengths and minimize their weaknesses, you had to do it in separate PGMs.

--
JHHL