Bill,

Having worked in what appears to be a similar environment, it occurs to me
that you are not going to know how many cases (orders) there are per day.
In our situation there are sometimes <100, sometimes > 1000. So at the end
of the line, when I presume the checking would occur, you have no way of
knowing if you've inspected 10% or what.

How and when do you intend to notify the checkers which order to validate?
In our business (small/medium-sized wholesaler) we check everything, plus
the customers are supposed to do so, too.

On the other hand if, unlike our operation, the cases stack up on a staging
area, you could print a report which randomly picks orders for validation.
It's just that I don't see that happening in today's JIT environment.

I guess my problem is visualizing your environment. If you are content with
checking only 10%, Roger's suggestion of a random number generator (there's
an API for that, too) might work. One place at which I worked some years
ago had a random number generator: Numbers in a hat. Pick a number (0-9)
each morning and any order ending in that gets scrutinized.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM i Programmer/Analyst
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the
target.