John,

You did say reputation, certainly. However, you are propagating a myth by
continuing to spread that there is a reputation. Many people seem to
disagree that COMMON has that reputation, so why should you continue to
make it a topic? A few complainers on midrange-L do not a reputation make.
And they primarily complained about the 'high' hotel costs - that is the
strange part. The attendance at COMMON conferences would also seem to
resist that particular reputation.

Certainly, we need to be able to talk about those kinds of things, but
that rarely happens here. This group simply needs someone to kindle a
myth, and the fire begins. Your posting was unnecessary, rather it seemed
to be a complaint that COMMON did not market according to your own
personal standards, beefed up by identifying more of COMMON's perceived
failings. Ironically, you even suggested that you "long ago tuned out
anything having to do with COMMON", so how would you know whether "this
free, virtual, open event was not more heavily promoted"? Your posting,
overall, was more complaint than neutral observation. And that complaint
can be easily perceived as an attack.

I think COMMON gets a bad rap from a few people who complain on
midrange-L. Your posting was just another continuation in that series, and
I think it is time we recognize that COMMON, in spite of all the things
people claim it does ~not~ do, makes a valuable contribution to the
community. That is hard to do when there is all this negativity and noise.

And, FWIW, $1695 is not a high cost for education. It may be relative to
you not being willing to invest that in your own education or career, but
in comparison to education and conferences in the IT industry, this is
quite a low cost.

Trevor