From: John Yeung [mailto:gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2013 2:39 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: COMMON Virtual Conference

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Trevor Perry
<trevor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Your posting was unnecessary, rather it seemed to be a
complaint that
COMMON did not market according to your own personal
standards, beefed
up by identifying more of COMMON's perceived failings.
Ironically, you
even suggested that you "long ago tuned out anything
having to do with
COMMON", so how would you know whether "this free,
virtual, open event
was not more heavily promoted"? Your posting, overall, was
more
complaint than neutral observation. And that complaint can
be easily
perceived as an attack.

My primary exposure to IBM i news is this list. I would
have expected more of an announcement on this list than
Pete's post (starting this thread). He even starts it off
with "Not sure if everyone knows...".
It feels like an afterthought. If there had been even a
modest campaign to put notices on this list, by now I would
have expected messages to be more like "Don't forget that
this Tuesday is...". If I'd seen that, then I would have
assumed that I simply missed previous messages, due to my
being too tuned out to COMMON events. (At least I caught
this one!)

I actually do see a lot of buzz on this list for paid COMMON
events.
To my "tuned out" ear it sounds like a bunch of COMMON
members telling each other "hey, I look forward to seeing
you at the upcoming COMMON event!" But there is usually a
flurry of such messages, so I do tend to notice. I don't
have any kill list or filter that hides COMMON from my
inbox. I just don't read them as carefully as some of the
other posts.

So I often hear about paid events, yet I hadn't heard about
tomorrow's free event until I checked my e-mail this
morning. And no, it's not my intention to blame anyone else
for my own lack of information.
Just reporting a data point, which is me. (I will say that
when I e-mailed the link to my coworkers, it was the first
they had heard of it, and one of them *is* a COMMON member.)

If you want to consider me a complainer, that's certainly
your prerogative. I think the i is a platform worth
promoting, and the community surrounding it worth reaching.
I am utterly amazed by the value of this list. I think
COMMON would add more value to the i community *and to
itself* (in the form of a greater chance to win over new
members) if it mentioned its free events more *on this
list*.
That's my opinion.

Pete, thank you for your subsequent (long) post about
COMMON, and why it may be worth another look.

Eric, thanks for the heads up about watching the material
later; I hope people see it in time and register!

John
--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
please take a moment to review the archives at

-----
No virus found in this message.