what is a simple easy way to clear all fields in a record?

fixed

From CL without calling an HLL pgm?

Or clear all fields in all records? (but don't remove records).

For example,

Runsql 'update CUSTFILE set all cols to initial values where RRN = 1'

I want CUSTNAME set to spaces, CUSTZIP set to 00000, etc.

Unfortunately the above doesn't work :)

Solution can use SQL or other method.

The only method I can come up with is to use CPYF *REPLACE *MAP *DROP from another empty file, but that is hardly a clean method - it requires another file with initial-values in the fields.

Why?

I use a DSPJRN outfile to join to other files, and I would like the outfile to be initial values sometimes. Maybe it is not possible; even if there was a method, OS400 seems crude with JRN outfiles in that they cannot be cleared???

At least not thru DBU.

Thanks!

This outbound email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Skyscan service.