Good suggestion. But with all the security and authority issues these days - and prod running on different h/w that developers don't even have access to - is there an easy way to ensure that the new file has EXACTLY the same authority and security attributes as the old one? Does CRTDUPOBJ supply all the necessary duplication?

With CPYF, I know for sure that the data is ending up where it came from!

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:04 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: take 2: how to sort a file in place

On 2013-01-23, at 2:26 PM, midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Can this be done in one SQL statement with the result placed back in WORKFILE1?

Or should I create a new table QTEMP/WORKFILE2 using DISTINCT or GROUP BY, and then CPYF back to WORKFILE1.

Another option being to create a new file delete the old one and either move or rename the new one to the old name. Neither move or rename would actually move the data so both should be more efficient than copying the new on back again.

Jon Paris