Yep! An Arduino with a tiny magnetic plunger would do this quite easily. The entire thing would be smaller than a pack of cigarettes plus a brick power supply. You could stick it to the front of the machine with Velcro and could add a display to it so you could set the schedule easily right from the box itself.

That said, I like the ASMI access more better. :-)

- DrFranken.