Re: Aldon & Index Advisor Indexes

fixed

Sam,

Instead of having index adviser create the index for you, use the "Show SQL" option in the drop down(At V7 it's the third item) You will see output like: (I just picked this one because it was near the top, it's an example)

/* Creating index BPCS6F.IIM_INDEX_00001
When creating this index the database connection should have a sort sequence of *HEX.

-- System name: myhost.mydomain.com
-- Database: myhost Advised Indexes for myhost
-- Times Advised for Query Use: 6110480
-- First Advised: 7/22/12 8:05:44 PM
-- Last Query Use: 12/4/12 5:24:37 AM
-- Reason Advised: Row selection
-- Estimated Index Creation Time (seconds): 00:00:05
-- Rows in Table when Advised: 95434
-- Average of Query Estimates (seconds): 0.0001
-- Most Expensive Query Estimate (seconds): 3
-- Index Type Advised: Not unique */
CREATE INDEX BPCS6F.IIM_INDEX_00001 ON BPCS6F.IIM (IID ASC, IPROD ASC);

/* Setting label text for BPCS6F.IIM_INDEX_00001 */
LABEL ON INDEX BPCS6F.IIM_INDEX_00001 IS 'Index generated from Index Advisor';

You can strip out or modify the comments as needed. I also tend to change the names of the indices to indicate what they index, and change the text. Makes it much easier when you start getting a bunch of index objects out there.

Now you can put the SQL into a source member and allow your change control process to do its thing.....

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects