Thanks Paul, but testing shows that it /does/ actually change the name of the folder in Windows.

Fortunately in this situation I have access to both the iSeries and the Windows server in question, so I can see it from both points-of-view.

On 11/14/2012 9:15 AM, paultherrien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
My understanding of QNTC is limited but I believe that QNTC is useful for
creating links to existing Windows network shares, but not great for
manipulating the Windows shares. Renaming Incoming to, I THINK,
simply renames your link, but not the name of the folder/directory in

Paul Therrien
Andeco Software, LLC
2233 St. Charles Ave
# 704
New Orleans, LA 70130

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Peter Dow
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:56 PM
To: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: QNTC directory fun & games

A colleague of mine has an interesting situation. He used WRKLNK to rename
a QNTC directory, /QNTC/server/share/Incoming as, then created a
new directory named Incoming in the same folder, expecting to end up with

And that's the way it appeared. However, when he tried to display the new
Incoming folder using WRKLNK option 5, it said "Object not found".
But showed the contents of Incoming.

The network guy deleted the //server/share/Incoming from Windows. At this
point I'm a little hazy on what happened, but the folder was
also gone by the time I got to look at things.

I used MKDIR '/QNTC/server/share/Incoming' and tried to look at its contents
with WRKLNK option 5, but I got the same "Object not found", and I couldn't
delete it from the iSeries. However, I was able to look at its contents
(empty) with iNavigator, that is, via /QNTC/server/share/Incoming. Then I
tried using iNavigator to delete it, and it went merrily along and said it
deleted it, but a refresh of the iNav window showed it still there!

So I tried it from the Windows side of things. I was able to delete the
Incoming folder, then created Incoming and folders. I put a file
into Incoming, and it was not visible from, and vice versa, both
from the Windows perspective, and from the iSeries.

We thought all was well, but today the weirdness started happening again
-- files in one folder show up in the other without being copied there.

Anyone seen this? It's a v5r4 system on its way out, so no IBM support
(which my colleague found out when he called them to ask what was going on).

*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050
petercdow@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:petercdow@xxxxxxxxx> pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx