From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:14 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: DDS field reference equivalent in SQL

On 30 Oct 2012 10:10, Stone, Joel wrote:
An important part of making field length changes easier on iSeries
is to use a field reference file to inherit attributes from other
fields and files.

Is there an equivalent in SQL?

Add a "data dictionary" abstraction layer between the database SQL
and the application programming, and then use that /dictionary/ to
generate DDL instead of composing the SQL directly. I would avoid ever
using them, but the SQL did offer a DATA DICTIONARY which does have some
[slow and limited data type] support, provided by the IDDU feature's
Data Dictionary [*DTADCT] object type as an implementation object; e.g.
CREATE COLLECTION "DEPRECATED" WITH DATA DICTIONARY

I had advocated for making the WITH DATA DICTIONARY clause become a
no-op, but I am not aware if full elimination of the support [aside from
possibly allowing restore from older releases] had ever come.