Re: DDS field reference equivalent in SQL

fixed

On 30 Oct 2012 10:10, Stone, Joel wrote:
An important part of making field length changes easier on iSeries
is to use a field reference file to inherit attributes from other
fields and files.

Is there an equivalent in SQL?

Add a "data dictionary" abstraction layer between the database SQL and the application programming, and then use that /dictionary/ to generate DDL instead of composing the SQL directly. I would avoid ever using them, but the SQL did offer a DATA DICTIONARY which does have some [slow and limited data type] support, provided by the IDDU feature's Data Dictionary [*DTADCT] object type as an implementation object; e.g.
CREATE COLLECTION "DEPRECATED" WITH DATA DICTIONARY

I had advocated for making the WITH DATA DICTIONARY clause become a no-op, but I am not aware if full elimination of the support [aside from possibly allowing restore from older releases] had ever come.