From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Luis Rodriguez
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 8:58 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Massive Reorg

Rob,

<snip/>
Not sure how deleted records helps concurrent inserts.
Perhaps also some application uses deleted records to 'preallocate' space.
</snip>

Not very sure but I seem to remember (long time ago), a comment from an IBMer about that one of the advantages of a file with REUSDLT(*YES) was improved performance at the moment of inserting a record, as it was faster to just insert it into a "slot" in, say, the middle of the file, that going all the way to the end and insert it there (and extend the file, I suppose).

So I suppose that for a process that, say, delete some hundred/thousands of records and then create new ones in their place, it would be better NOT to reorganize the file...

I think that I agree with Chuck that (*maybe*) it would be better to do RGZPFMs in a very selective way. Of course, every shop is different, and your mileage can vary...

Best Regards,

Luis Rodriguez
IBM Certified Systems Expert - eServer i5 iSeries