From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Stone, Joel
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2012 9:20 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: make cust file look like a journal record - format

I have pgmA which reads cust journal changes and sends them off for an ETL app.

I would also like to be able to send the entire cust file using the same pgmA with no changes.

How can I make the cust record format look just like a journal record (the format that DSPJRN creates).

For example:

Cust file format:

CustName 30
CustAddr 30
CustCity 20
Total 80

I want this to look like a DSPJRN record so I can use the same pgmA to load up all CUST records for an initial load.

Desired format:

Field Field
Text Name Type Length
Length of entry JOENTL S 5 ---------------------|
Sequence number JOSEQN S 10 |
Journal Code JOCODE A 1 |
Entry Type JOENTT A 2 |
Date of entry: Job date f JODATE A 6 |
Time of entry: hour/minut JOTIME S 6 |---------- journal header fields
Name of Job JOJOB A 10 |
Name of User JOUSER A 10 |
Number of Job JONBR S 6 |
Name of Program JOPGM A 10 |
Name of Object JOOBJ A 10 ----------------------|
Entry Specific Data - Var JOESD A 80 <--------------------------------- I want my CUST data here!!

Most of the journal fields can empty - but I want my CUST data to be in JOESD. Can SQL or OPNQRYF do this?

I think I need to take fields JOENTL thru JOOBJ and initialize those. Then take all CUST fields CUST.* and string them together (alpha, packed, zoned) into the one JOESD field.

Is this possible without using an HLL?

This outbound email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Skyscan service.