From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark S Waterbury
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2012 10:38 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: make cust file look like a journal record - format

Joel:

Why go to all the trouble of trying to make a file that "looks just like
a journal record"?

Why not just use the real system journal facilities and then you can use
DSPJRN, as you do now?

For example, you could do something like this:

1. create a temporary library:

CRTLIB LIB(TEMPLIB)

2. create a temporary journal and journal receiver:

CRTJRNRCV JRNRCV(TEMPLIB/TEMPJRN0001)

CRTRJN JRN(TEMPLIB/TEMPJRN) JRNRCV(TEMPLIB/TEMPJRN0001)

3. create a copy of the file, but with no data, in the temporary library:

CRTDUPOBJ OBJ(filename) FROMLIB(filelib) OBJTYPE(*FILE)
TOLIB(TEMPLIB) DATA(*NO)

4. start journaling the temporary copy of the file:

STRJRNPF FILE(TEMPLIB/filename) JRN(TEMPLIB/TEMPJRN) IMAGES(*AFTER)
OMTJRNE(*OPNCLO)

5. copy all the trecords from the original file to the temporary copy,
to get them journaled:

CPYF FROMFILE(filelib/filename) TOFILE(TEMPLIB/filename) MBROPT(*ADD)

Then you can just issue DSPJRN against TEMPLIB/TEMPJRN and send the
output to an *OUTFILE, as I presume you are doing now ......

When all done, you can issue:

DLTLIB TEMPLIB

Does that help?

All the best,