Generally the send call will buffer the data esp if it's a small amount. The recv causes a flush of the buffer (the actual send).

On 10/16/2012 3:16 PM, Victor Hunt wrote:
Hi Scott,

I share your feeling on the sleep() call. The program is fairly straight
forward. It opens a socket to our SMTP server. It then loads the various
SMTP commands into a string (one at a time) and runs a subroutine that does
the send() and recv() calls separated by a sleep() call.

I've been playing with the subroutine a bit. The data from the recv() call,
if any is even returned, is not used by the program. I commented out both
the sleep() and recv() calls. Nothing else was changed. The program no
longer sends an email. After uncommenting out the sleep() call, the email
is sent again.

This was late in the day and I didn't have time to do any debuging, which I
will do this morning to see if the send() call is failing for some reason.
Do the send() and recv() calls need to be used together? Can I do a send()
and never a recv()? At least as far as SMTP goes?

Thanks,

Vic

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Scott Klement