I've run across an RPG program that uses socket APIs to send an email. Once
the socket is setup and opened, the program uses a subroutine to do all the
send/receive functions. Just after the send, the subroutine runs the sleep
API with a parameter of 1 second. It appears the original intent was to
give the email server and/or network time to produce/deliver a response
before the receive API runs. Does anyone think this built in delay is
really necessary? Depending on what is being sent, this program can run for
a very long time with these roughly 1 second delays. Also, the program
doesn't do anything with the received data collected after the send API. Is
it really necessary to do a receive after a send? Seems I can tighten this
up a bit.

Thanks,

Vic