I would agree that a separate tape is not necessarily an advantage, UNLESS, you are able to push that tape to the recovery center faster than the other tapes can get there. Right after the OS is recovered, the BRMS databases needs updates with the latest data. Keep in mind that companies like Agile keep systems ready for recovery meaning we have the LIC loaded, DASD initialized and the base OS plus required LPPs already done. Your recovery step starts with restore user profiles, then the BRMS database. In that case you would be into recovering the system well before the partition data arrives speeding up your recovery by between 6 and 16 hours!

So, while there my not be direct advantages, if your recovery time requires a very fast recovery, then you can save yourself a fair amount of time if the BRMS data is pushed to the recovery site before the recovery is needed.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects