I am jumping in here late ( maybe )...
What are the SSDs for? Data Writes while faster than spinning disks they
are not any where close to Read Speeds they can achieve. Were they Mirrored
or Raided? If mirrored, the transaction is not complete until Both drives
are written. Reads are done fro either of the pair.
Since Journaling is very heavy on the write, I could see where using too
few disks ( SSDs or HDDs ) could slow things down.