On 29-Mar-2012 08:06 , Stone, Joel wrote:
if I run the following, it DOES assign a CCSID. But you are stating
this cannot be???

CRTPF FILE(QTEMP/X) RCDLEN(111)
File X created in library QTEMP.
Member X added to file X in QTEMP.

3/29/12 Display File Description
DSPFD Command Input
File . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : FILE X
Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *LIBL
Coded character set identifier . . . . : CCSID 37

The request to DSPFD X after the request to CRTPF QTEMP/X ... Really? ;-) Perhaps a request to use DSPFD QTEMP/X might show something different, like the expected CCSID 65535?

crtpf qtemp/x rcdlen(111)
dspfd qtemp/x /* Externally described file=No; CCSID=65535 */
chgpf qtemp/x ccsid(37)
CPD322D RC4 "Explicitly specified CCSIDs or file restrictions present. ... 4 - The file is a program described file."
CPF7304 "File X in QTEMP not changed."

However more relevant, regardless of any defects or idiosyncrasies with the file-level CCSID attribute, the issue to which I allude is the column CCSID. The file CCSID is inconsequential to the SQL and any database field mapping [aka cast] of data; i.e. only the attributes of the field are utilized in data mapping decisions, and the file-level information is there just as an attempt to relay a summary perspective. The correct command to drill-down to the specifics:

dspffd qtemp/x /* Field X "Coded Character Set Identifier: 65535" */

Regards, Chuck