On 21-Mar-2012 09:06 , Victor Hunt wrote:
I am searching our system (7.1) for files with specific text in the
file description. In the past I have used the QADBXREF file for this
purpose. I noticed today that some files in QADBXREF have no file
text in any of the obvious file text fields (DBXTXT, DBXREM,
DBXTXT2). When I use the WRKF command I see file descriptions for the
files I'm interested in that are blank in QADBXREF. It is my
understanding that the QADBXREF file has all file related information
in it. I assume that file description text is stored somewhere else.
Where might the file text descriptions be located?

DBXTXT2? On v7r1 be sure to avoid CCSID(*HEX) for the job, because the "text" fields are since changed to the data type GRAPHIC with CCSID(1200) for which CCSID translation is a requirement to view the data.

Note: The database file object stores the TEXT() description from when the object was originally created [TEXT Qdbfhtxt and CCSID Qdbftcid per QDBRTVFD API] and that is re-represented [a copy] in the Object Information Record [OIR] for the *FILE.

Perform the following script to verify the DBXTXT in the database cross-reference physical file QADBXREF in QSYS:

dspfd TheLib/*ALL *BASATR *OUTFILE FILEATR(*LF *PF *DDMF)
OUTFILE(QTEMP/FDBASATR)

with x as /* Assumes one library only, for the DSPFD */
(select dbxfil
, case when dbxatr='AL' then 'DDMF' else dbxatr end dbxatr
, case when dbxatr='AL' then 'N' else dbxrel end dbxrel
, dbxtyp, dbxtxt
from qsys/qadbxref /* qsys/qadbxlfi for usr w/o *allobj */
where dbxlib=(select distinct atlib from qtemp/fdbasatr) )
SELECT atfile fn, dbxfil xn
, atfatr fa, dbxatr xa, atftyp tp
, atdtat fd, dbxtyp xd
, atfls fx, dbxrel xx
, attxt ft, dbxtxt xt
FROM qtemp/fdbasatr left outer join X
on atfile=dbxfil
WHERE atdtat<>dbxtyp
or (atfls<>dbxrel and atnofm=1)
or attxt<>dbxtxt /* Most notably */
or dbxfil is null

FWiW if there are no differences, a similar query after the request to DSPOBJD TheLib/*ALL *FILE *FULL OUPUT(*OUTFILE) OUTFILE(qtemp/od) could be used to generate the OIR text instead; presumably what is shown in WRKF.

Regards, Chuck