From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 8:09 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: In-house Reusable Code: Publishing and Documenting

On Jan 6, 2012, at 2:08 AM, midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Have any of you found good answers to either of these questions for a
shop with 5 or more developers?

1) How do y?all make people aware what reusable routines exist?

2) How do folk find what a reusable routine does, short of reading the
code?

Documentation? <grin>

The best way I believe is to use an RPGDoc tool (Paul Tuohy has one linked
from here http://systemideveloper.com/downloads.html )

We have also used a wiki (pmwiki in our case) as a central repository for
documentation.

I also subscribe to the notion of using the prototypes for basic
documentation and examples of useage. I also group the protos of multiple
routines into a single file to minimize the number of places that have to be
searched.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com