Jack,

Benefits of some of them are there is no native IBM i way (or easy way) to do some of the things you can do. For instance, if all you have is an SSH or TELNET connection to the box, it is really hard to edit files in the IFS. The native IFS editor just plain sucks wind. VIM on the other hand, is an excellent editor. Furthermore anyone with a Unix background is likely to be able to use it without much in the way of help.

Other examples are zip, cvs, Perl etc. These are tools Unix folks use on a regular basis (I'm in VIM at least once a day) and if they are available on the IBM i , it makes that platform more attractive to the Unix crowd.

Just in working with the MySQL installation on one of the COMMON Lab boxes has been made easy with VIM, hard with IBM i native stuff..... Need to do a fast tweek to a PHP script, VIM is the way to do it if you don't have Zend Studio loaded up, and connected.

Certainly the list of available RPMs ( I found a neat list here: http://www.perzl.org/aix/ ) has many items that are not worth the work (bash for instance) but there are some real gems in there too.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects

On 4/13/2011 8:08 AM, Jack Kingsley wrote:
Sorry, will not be able to go, I am trying to understand the benefits of
having the RPM's in the IFS??