Remote Journaling is a direct IBM supported way. You just need to write
the programs to read the journal and apply the entries. Journaling is a
one way update. Does not work well if you will be updating on both
systems and need to mirror changes bi-directional. (Can be done with
hoops to jump through.) Journaling also gives you a nice audit trail.

Bidirectional I would use triggers where you ignore entries from the
remote apply job. In other words, the trigger looks at the program
applying the update, and if program x, do nothing. I usually use an
*AFTER trigger for such things and then just send the trigger data to 1.
A log file or 2. A local data queue.

The remote system uses a program to read the remote data queue and apply
the change locally. This works well for keeping the local system from
having to do any of the remote work and allows local updates to happen
while the remote system is not communicating. Each system can update
the file and place non mirroring updates in to the queue.

By chaining to the local file and comparing before updates, you can
actually perform field level updates and log any errors found such as
field a value changed before the update.