LOL

I think the slashes are some kind of special character for quotes in newsgroups - not sure - Chuck will have to translate his special characters for us sometime - I tend to ignore them for now. Some are for bold and underline and the like, I think. Chuck?

At any rate, I think he is putting it in quotes ("free") to say it's usually included now with any i box. There is always the free mySQL that can be run on any Windows box, and that'd probably get you the same results. There's also an express version of SQL Server, I think.

OK - I googled for "newsgroup asterisk slash" and got one hit that includes this comment -

I believe the Usenet de facto standard for illustrating font styles of bold, underlining, and italics in plain-text newsgroup posts is to enclose the word or string within asterisks, underscores, or slashes

So maybe that's what's going on - he's making it italicized.

Later
Vern