There's a bunch of stuff mixed up here and it is confusing everyone.

Subversion is version source control. Not change management. In general,
you don't "promote" to a collective location or path or branch or tag
within SVN. You commit your changes. At some point you decide what
version is distributable after building from a working copy. Any working
copy can be switched or updated at any point to any version or branch.

Each developer does his work in his working copy. You do not need a
branch. Each developer can go in different directions with his working
copy. Branches are usually only used for specific customizations that
will never become part of the trunk.

Each developer might have several working copies of the same project
going.

A working copy can be switched to another version (or branch or tag).

The SVN client MUST maintain an unalterable copy of the working as it
was at the time the working copy was made (co or update). The hidden
file you see in your working copy directory is this unalterable copy.
Keeping this "thing" is what is going to involve the IFS somehow unless
you want to keep it in a user space or some other protected object.
Without this "thing" you can't do a commit back to SVN.

In the context that has been used here, the source files in a library
are the working copy. The library itself is probably the checkout
directory. The files are directories within the checkout directory and
the mbr's are the svn files. When you create the working copy with the
checkout (co) command, SVN populates the members with source from the
repository at the revision specified. An update will merge the revision
from the repository as given in the command with the current contents of
the source files in the library. A commit will add a new revision to the
repository at which point the library may be deleted or it may continue
to be a working copy at the new revision.