From: Mark Murphy/STAR BASE Consulting Inc. <mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, May 25, 2010 1:03:38 PM
Subject: Re: Subversion and RPG source change management

This could be a good way to do it due to the fact that multiple
programmers would be working on the source on the i. At a recent client,
they have 4 environments set up in their CMS. Production, QA,
Integration, and Development. For the application I was working on, each
developer has their own development library, and them moving up to the
Integration environment is where the rest of the team can see the changes
I made. In my mind, this is where SVN comes in. On a PC development
environment, where there is only one developer per PC, checking changes in
to SVN is where my changes are made available to the rest of the team. So
I can envision an environment on the i where a team has a "project
library", and each developer has his own library, and the process that
moves things up to the "project library" also commits to subversion.

If we were to write a subversion client for PDM, then the IFS portion of
the flow would not be necessary.

Mark Murphy
STAR BASE Consulting, Inc.
mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx