Your new machine sits beside your old machine. They run in parallel for a
bit, allowing you to test/verify the new environment before you do your
actual cutover/upgrade. This is doable when the mew machine has all-new or
mostly-new hardware or what you're carrying over isn't needed to validate
the new environment. And you have the floorspace, power, and HVAC to
support it.

Contrast that with a push/pull where the old machine is "pushed" aside to
make room for the new machine, or the old machine is gutted to have it's
internals replaced with new components.

In a side-by-side you can validate the new stuff works before putting it in
production. In a push/pull you cannot and thus you trust that the new stuff
will work.