Web app by far.

1. If you later add web services to your offerings you've already got
something going to build on.
2. It will be far easier to accommodate browser compatibility that to write
for, say, iPhone/Touch/Pad, BlackBerry, Windows Phone 7, webOS, and
Android. If you wind up writing for multiple mobile OSes you'll wind up
coding the same app in multiple languages. Talk about a development &
support nightmare.
3. App distribution: There is none. You never have to push code to the
clients nor make sure they're on the current version. Also, no wonky
licensing strategies to have to adhere to (mostly for Apple). Likewise,
your intellectual property doesn't fly out the window when devices are lost
or stolen, which will inevitably happen.
4. A web app will also work on desktops and whatever new clients that come
along in the next few years. You're development efforts aren't tied to one
platform and aren't antiquated by the next shiny new device. CEOs are like
children; the shiny new devices get their attention and you're left making
it work.

Re: Browser compatibility. Focus on Webkit first. That covers iPhone,
webOS, Safari, and IIRC Chrome with probably little to no added coding for
each platform.