From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dennis Lovelady
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 11:57 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: Shell question

I too would like to learn some QSH but I seem to get problems in
almost
every command. There always seems to be the assumption that one knows
something about UNIX already.

For example, if I try :

cat /qsys.lib/bdvin.lib/qsqlsrc.file/crtbase.mbr | grep -c date

I get No such path or directory.

But ls /qsys.lib/d133363v1.lib/qrpglesrc.file gives :
CLT600.MBR

For starters, the error message "No such path or directory" identifies
the
sender of the message, like in the following. Let's find out where the
error is first: can it not find "cat" or "grep" or the file? Also, you
ARE
entering this all in lower case, right? For the filename that doesn't
matter, but for everything else it does.

cat /no/file/name

cat: 001-0023 Error found opening file /no/file/name. No such path or
directory.
/home/DLOVELADY>

cat .profile | grepx noene

qsh: 001-0019 Error found searching for command grepx. No such path or
directory.
/home/DLOVELADY>

Dennis Lovelady
"An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has
come."
-- Victor Hugo