Command line entry of numeric data defaults to using a Packed 15,5 format. To pass a Packed 7,0 value, from the command line, you must pass the value using hex notation as in:

Call Pgm1 x'0000087F'

which equates to a packed value of positive 87 (the trailing 'F' is the sign).

----- Original Message ----- From: "lwl" <lwl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 9:14 AM
Subject: calling programs with parameters from the command line

To all

As you cal tell from this question I'm new to the 400/iSeries environment.

I want to call a program (pgm1) with one parameter (PRM01) from the command

The parameter is 7,0 in the program and the value I want to pass is 87

I think the command line entry is:

Call pgm1 (0000087)

Obviously this is wrong because the program abends on a data error when I
use the above instruction format.

What should the command line entry look like?

Roy Luce

Systems Plus - Midwest

Direct: 847-540-9635

800-913-PLUS (7587)