On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Bradley V. Stone<bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  If Help Systems said that, then they're using the QtmmSendMail API (or
  heaven forbid calling SNDDST with QCMDEXC in the background).  Both which
  use the IBM SMTP server.  In other words, using a system that I personally
  have seen maybe 50% success rate with (and the reason I wrote my tools
  over 10 years ago because I needed them personally, as well as other
  customers of mine).

I do not know exactly what ESEND uses under the covers, I just know
what Help Systems said. The other thing I know is that ESEND works.
We never have failures of stuff not getting delivered via email
through ESEND.

  If IBM told you that you needed to create a self-signed certificate
  because gmail requires SSL for mail delivery, they are wrong and like a
  lot of folks, don't understand the difference between a certificate and a
  Certificate Authority (CA).  Or, they understand but still get the
  terminology wrong.  But a self signed certificate is a completely
  different ballgame and a server side function mostly used for testing, or
  Client Access over SSL in some cases.

In iNav, SMTP properties, the Authentication tab: What is checked is
"No TSL/SSL" so you are right there. The bottom half of that tab has
an area for "Logon information for relay server". It is here that I
have smtp.gmail.com entered with a user/password.

  I personally have used gmail (google apps premier) for over 3 years now.
  Love it.  I have other customers that also switched to it and love it and
  since my tools incorporate what is needed, the switch was as easy as a
  couple CHGCMDDFT commands.  Possibly importing Google's CA as well.

It's been less than 2 weeks, but we love GApps too. I am much more
productive getting through email this way. Did you know you can sync
to Outlook MAPI style, like Exchange? And google is currently working
on Tasks?

  When I switched to gmail it forced me to add SSL to my MAILTOOL Plus
  product (since I use it exclusively for email on the i).

  I'd be curious if you tried it before you created the self signed cert.
  :)  And if it WAS required, then they have some wild and wacky/hack stuff
  going on with their email delivery system or it was something different
  all together.

It did not work without the cert. It took a couple of hours off and
on the phone with IBM to get this going. Are you interested in seeing
the 2 PMRs? I can easily save as PDFs and email them to you. I'm
fairly busy this morning, but I should be able to do that today.

  Curious is:

  1.  ALWAUTH(*NONE).  This appears to only apply to receiving emails (ie
  SMTP server, not delivery).  and this value says "no, I don't want to use
  SSL".  should have no affect on sending.. and if it did, it is saying to
  not use SSL.

  2.  You specified the authentication user in iNav.  But no where else can
  this be done that I can find.   Besides this, according to what you did, I
  don't see anywhere where for mail delivery you changed anything to use SSL
  and I "thought" was required by google apps/gmail.

See above, the Authentication tab. I'm pretty sure this is new in
V6R1. Or is that i6? :)

  Who knows.. if it works, something is set up right!  :)  while still
  fundamentally wrong IMHO (and it's been a while since I've shared MHO on
  these lists..  lol)

Keep sharing. You and your products were on my mental list to be the
first contacted if IBM couldn't get it to work.