Replies inline.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Lukas
Beeler<lukas.beeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 19:29, Jeff Crosby<jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The netserver name is QDILGARD, the domain name is DILGARD, so they're
not the same to begin with.

I was talking about the NetBIOS Domain Name of your *Windows* Domain,
not the name of the Netserver instance.

Got it. The word "domain" seems to be used in too many places.

Currently the i is both DNS and DHCP server.  Not after this weekend.
The windows server (as well as a backup) will be DNS/DHCP.

The i was DNS-Server for what? Resolver only? Or for an authoritative zone?

It did DNS for our LAN. Until late last week it did. For some
inexplicable reason, it ceased working while I was on vacation. The
INTNETADR parm of CHGTCPDMN had as it's single value "127.0.0.1". It
has been that way for years. Suddenly, internet access was sporadic.
The CEO had Comcast out, they changed modems, but that didn't help.
They had to call me as The Network Guy did not have i access nor know
how to change that. I changed that INTNETADR parm to be the Comcast
DNS servers and then the i could see the internet. Within DHCP, the
DNS was set to 192.168.0.1 (the i) and so the rest of the LAN could
not get to the internet. I changed that to the Comcast DNS servers,
restarted DHCP, and then everything worked again. None of us can
figure out why it quit working, but since it's a moot point after this
weekend, we have better things to do.

We have a couple of WINS servers, which are in the Netserver config.
I've heard before (years ago, I think) that with proper DNS, WINS
could go away.

This is correct, WINS is legacy protocol. But there are still several
(legacy) applications which depend on it - for example, network
browsing or Exchange 2003. Which you may, or may not need/want.

No need there.

Regarding CHGTCPDMN, what concerns me is SMTP/MSF.  SMTP has to send
email via Google Apps.

It depends on how exactly you send your mails. As such, i can't give
you a definitive answer there. I can't imagine that you can use the i
SMTP/MSF to send mail via Google apps, as the standard IBM i MSF/SMTP
combo does not support SMTP AUTH.

It's been doing it for a month. :)