I know this has been discussed at some point. Not sure as to how it was

I am needing to locate files in an IFS directory that contain a given string.

Using qp2term, I entered this:

cd to appropriate directory

for i in `ls *.txt`
cat $i |grep string && echo $i

Eight file names were displayed. I have searched one named file and those
around it, but cannot find the string that was (if I did it right) that was

Two questions:

1) Since echo command is only performed when grep is successful, qhy is the
value presented not apparently a file that contains the string located by grep?

2) Any way that I can disable the huge quantity of job logs produced by the
above commands? Message logging is currently set to 4 0 *NOLIST and *NO