Perhaps a silly question, but... why not simply do this:

grep -l string *.txt

That'll search all files that match the pattern *.txt without any need to code a loop. The -l switch means to print the filename only and not list the lines of the file that match.

John McKee wrote:
I know this has been discussed at some point. Not sure as to how it was
resolved.

I am needing to locate files in an IFS directory that contain a given string.

Using qp2term, I entered this:

cd to appropriate directory

for i in `ls *.txt`
do
cat $i |grep string && echo $i
done

Eight file names were displayed. I have searched one named file and those
around it, but cannot find the string that was (if I did it right) that was
located.

Two questions:

1) Since echo command is only performed when grep is successful, qhy is the
value presented not apparently a file that contains the string located by grep?

2) Any way that I can disable the huge quantity of job logs produced by the
above commands? Message logging is currently set to 4 0 *NOLIST and *NO

Thanks!