The start position for the /compare data/ is where the replacement value is located in the /message data/. What determines where &3 is to be found, is *not* the location of &3 within the /first level text/ of the message. This is because the start position must remain constant irrespective of both the translated language or rewritten first level text of the message; even for omission of the &3 from the first level message text. For example, all of the following /translations/ of the first level text will use the same value for /start position/ in the /compare data/, even though the &3 appears in varying locations:

Printer &3 requires alignment verification.
Verificare l'allineamento della stampante &3.
....+....1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+
Verify alignment on printer &3.

Regards, Chuck

Grizzly Malchow wrote:
Starting at the letter V in the word Verify, by my count, &3 starts in
position 29. The word printer starts in position 21. <<SNIP>>

Neil Palmer wrote:

Your message data start position of 29 in CMPDTA is wrong.

DSPMSGD CPA4002 shows:
Verify alignment on printer &3.

Field Data Type Length
&1 *CHAR 10 &2 *CHAR 10 &3 *CHAR 10 &4 *BIN 2 &5 *CHAR 10 &6 *CHAR 10
You can see that &3 starts in 21, not 29.

<<SNIP>>