Let me put a bit of a slant on it.

Your 270 was eaten by an earthquake.
The only sensible replacement is your 515 on the P05 tier but comes
with a minimum complement of 4 times the CPW. An exact duplicate is no
longer available. (Curious, how much would the charge be for a
straight replacement?)

My understanding from the thread is that we can expect that some
vendors require much more than what we imagined as fair, e.g. 11K,
before they will enable my business to get back up and running - a
significant unwelcome surprise.

Other than licensing fee formulas being used, i.e. 10% of original
sale, CPW * value, $100 per client session, etc. It sounds as if
(after all this time) this should be an easily avoidable liability for
any customer.
My thought here is about licensing. Was there a license agreement? Was
it vague or incomplete? What are the terms for an upgrade (which we
all know will occur)? Should it be in writing?

i.e. If I am using a vendor version that is no longer supported, I
implicitly get what I get, is no surprise these days and within
reason. However, if I am a current maintenance contract, I am
obviously supported or paying a stealth fee for an unsupportable
product. Is it an industry standard that maintenance does not include
a license transfer, something that is sure to happen to 100% of
customers at some point?