So, nobody has any thoughts on this??

Charles Wilt

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Charles Wilt
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 1:09 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SAVACT, checkpointing and tape movment

All,

Interesting problem, I've got a SAVLIB command saving two libraries with
the
following SAVACT parms:

savact(*SYNCLIB) savactwait(5)

Recently, started having problems where the locks by the save job are
interfering with a extranet web application.

It doesn't happen all the time. Looking at the SWA messages on a night
without problems I see:

17:06:14 - Save starts

17:06:43 - All Objects locked in LIB1

17:06:46 - All objects locked in LIB2, checkpoint processing in progress

17:10:48 - Checkpoint Processing complete

One a night with problems I see:

17:09:15 - Save starts

17:09:35 - All Objects locked in LIB1

17:09:36 - All objects locked in LIB2, checkpoint processing in progress

17:55:25 - Checkpoint Processing complete

Now as it turns out, on the nights that have had a problem, the wrong tape
was being used. Instead of the current save going at the end (sequence
#16)
of a daily tape, the save was going to the end (sequence #202) of a full
system save tape.

If I'm reading the v5r3 material I have correctly, the physical tape's not
supposed to start moving till the checkpoint has been reached. But this is
v5r4 box, perhaps something has changed?

Can anyone confirm or deny that SWA checkpointing would be delayed by the
need to position the tape to the *END at v5r4?

If the extra tape movement is not the problem, I'm at a lost as to why
checkpointing might take 45 minutes when it usually only takes 4. These
aren't big libraries, one has 501 objects the other has 81. I see no
messages about the SWA timing out, or objects not being saved, even with
the
SAVACTWAIT of only 5 seconds.

One last piece of additional information, on the save report all the
logical
files in both libraries have a "Save While Active Timestamp" of 17:09
while
the physical files all have a "Save While Active Timestamp" of 17:55 on a
night with the problem.

Thanks!

Charles Wilt

list