On many systems a user with *JOBCTL would need only perform WRKOUTQ QEZDEBUG to review what problems had transpired since a prior review had marked which were already reviewed. This is because the D=Dump incidents would have produced QPDSPJOB, QPSRVDMP, QPPGMDMP, and possibly other spools which were directed [per cleanup] into the QEZDEBUG output queue.

That nobody is informed, is again about properly coded programs. If the business decides someone needs to be informed because an operator is not monitoring the system, then the developers need to code a generic monitor for unexpected errors in the application, for which the handler effects desired notifications. So instead of allowing the program to fall into its run-time inquiry handling, either asking the user or the reply list how to respond, the application makes the decision. Thus what is in the *SYSRPYL is moot, as the real issue is a programming problem; a failure to meet the business rule for which someone needs to be informed of the failing code.

If the entries are removed to prevent the D=Dump action, then the message handling defers to *RQD processing which means the user\operator gets the option to reply. As a customization change to the system, the removal of those reply list entries [RMVRPYLE] should be included in the system change management script, to be re-run after each upgrade [in case the OS install blindly resets those defaults].

Note: ADDRPYLE allows the special value *ALL for a message range. I am not sure why, as it is a bad idea. Primarily because not all messages will have the same possible allowed replies. Additionally there is little to no assurance that a program will respond [well; more likely, unpredictably] to either an invalid reply or an escape from the message handling component indicating that the reply was invalid.

Regards, Chuck

Jerry Draper wrote:
Issue at this shop is that with the autoreply list set to D)ump all RPG and CPA messages the developer group never really knows when something fails unless the user says something. No one actually reviews qsysopr message queue so all looks fine and dandy.

Hey, if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound?

What do others have in their sysrepl?