From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 9:14 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: system reply list entries

I am not so sure of even putting it in a backup. Here's an example. We
save library QSRVAGT nightly. It was dying so I thought of doing a save
while active to not blow the whole backup. However, I found out that it
only blew in two examples throughout the years.
1 - QSECOFR password had expired and job was in MSGW.
2 - A particular file in that library was full and needed the message
answered.
Now, if I had a generic error handler for that, the messages might have
gone on unnoticed indefinitely.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Jerry Adams <Jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
05/16/2008 10:00 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: system reply list entries

I agree, in principle. Default handlers, like CPF0000, can cause more
trouble than problem(s) solved. What really amazes me, even more than
Rob's example, are people who put CPF0000 at the top of the CL so that it
acts on everything.

I do use the system reply list during conversions to respond to messages
that I *know* will occur. For example, if I am dropping a field from a
table, I don't want to have to reply 'I' to every CPA32B2 (File change may
result in data loss) during the conversion. Other than that situation, I
don't have an instance of using CHGJOB INQMSGRPY(*SYSRPYL). However, I
can think of places where one might legitimately use it (unattended
backups come to mind) when part of a thought out plan.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale
office: 615-995-7024