Lukas Beeler wrote:
On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, comparing the software 100% fairly is not possible. e.G. SBS
> includes Exchange and SPS, where the IBM aequivalent would be
> Domino/Notes. So i still think the end price tag is somewhat valid.
Eh. For 10 users you don't need either, Lukas. You get better results
from a $500 Linux box and Thunderbird.

I strongly disagree. First off, the 500$ price tag for a Linux server
is wrong in so many aspects (support, professional hardware, etc.)

Okay, now we're getting into opinion. Personally, I wouldn't use Exchange if you paid me, so there you go. Thus, having Exchange included is no benefit. As to hardware; I can have two machines, $1000, one backing up the other.

We also have many small businesses that really depend on having
Exchange or Notes running - even with 10 people. Over-the-Air Mobile
Phone Sync, Full Webmail with Calendaring, Access your Mails anywhere
with Outlook, etc. pp.
See, again you're into opinions. If you start out with fixed premises, you can make anything look good. With Thunderbird, I can access my email anywhere. Anytime. Linux also supports webmail very nicely. Shared calendaring support I can't speak to so much, although Thunderbird does support standard calendar processing - if you send me an event, I can add it to my calendar.

Your IBM software prices drop a lot if you don't have development tools
for all ten users, and in most small businesses you won't need those
tools except for one or two users. A small development shop, that's a
different story, but that's different than a small business.

It drops 2935 CHF. That's not much.

ILE compilers are US$1700 a seat. I figured that was the major portion of your software cost. Could you please give us the per seat licensing for the various i software components?

Joe