The way I approach scenarios like this is to realize what the main problem
is. I would guess the shop in question has been successfully developing RPG
apps for some time and are considering Java because of richer UI and easier
to find programmers.

The richer UI is a fairly easy one to address with a variety of either free
(i.e. CGIDEV2, Renasainse Framework) or vendor tools (i.e. RPGsp, RSP,
iSafari, eRPGSDK, Valence, etc). And the vendor tools are very reasonable
in price and keep you in the RPG language (read ROI).

The finding of RPG talent is the tougher one that I don't have a real answer
for. Your options vary from just finding solid programmers in other
languages and getting them to work on the iSeries, to training up your own
computer science college grads.

I find that you can make an iSeries sing sweet love songs if you combine RPG
and Java in a right way for your business. For my purposes I tend to have
much more RPG than Java (i.e. 100 to 1 ratio).

On a final note the one thing I really enjoy about Java is I can write on
three different platforms (phones, printers, desktop, iSeries and web) all
in the same language.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com