Schmidt, Mihael wrote:
Hey Joe,

if you are the Java, WDSC and EGL guy then why don't you rant about the WDSC (LPEX) RPG Editor because if i would exaggerate i would say that the editor is a so bad implementation that it stinks to heaven AND hell. For comparison take a look at the java editor. So why don't rant about that. IBM should have the resources to build a decent editor. ... and now don't come with the argument "if you don't like it build an editor yourself." ... i do.

my 2 cents.

Mihael Schmidt

Mihael, I'm not sure what your point is, other than the fact that in your opinion the LPEX editor isn't very good. First and foremost, I refuse to argue opinions. If your opinion is that it stinks, then that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Second, I am specifically NOT talking about implementation details, but about software quality. As far as I'm concerned, the code quality of Eclipse in general, the Rational tooling and finally the WDSC pieces are all quite good in comparison to a lot of the junk out there. In fact, until I started using Firefox and Thunderbird, I didn't find much end-user code out there that I thought was very stable.

But opinions are free and you obviousl have some, so please, tell us what you don't like about the LPEX editor. I like some things, don't like others. I like, for example, that you can have two editable views open for the same source file, something you can't do in Java. I also like that it's backwards compatible with SEU line commands. I don't always like the syntax checking errors; in fact, they can be downright annoying.

Joe