Von: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Joe Pluta
Gesendet: Sonntag, 27. Januar 2008 08:45
An: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Betreff: RE: Another Midrange Forum Falls Over and Can't Get Up

From: john e

Hey Joe,
Are u serious??? And don't know, but comparing SSA from the 80's with Open
Source software from these days like Joomla.... i don't know. You sound a
bit bitter....

John, I'm dead serious, and not a bit bitter. There's a lot of really cool
code out there (hey, remember, I'm the Java, WDSC and EGL guy), and there's
even some very well written stuff, but way too much code today has bugs that
a first-year programmer wouldn't have made back when I started.

The fact that the biggest class of security breach in the history of
programming, the buffer overrun, is entirely because programmers are too
lazy to check for the end of the buffer - well, that just amazes me. If I
wrote code that bad back in the day, I wouldn't have lasted a month.

But is this Joomla or just a bad implementation??

I didn't say that MC Press's problems were bad code; I think it's a bit of
both frankly. But the database errors on the System i Network site are
nothing but bad programming. To have a fatal database error in a production
site - that's simply unacceptable.

But this is opinion, and it's my opinion. And I won't continue the
conversation, because that's the thing I'm trying to avoid. But I'll bet
you there I'm not the only programmer from my era who thinks that a lot of
the new stuff is garbage.

Joe