DB2 LUW is not the DB2 for i5/OS. The QSH feature implemented by QZDFMDB2 is not a PASE binary for the DB2 on AIX, so it is an i5/OS feature. It is a variation on that DB2 CLI [command line interface; not to be confused with the SQL CLI client level interface, which interestingly, is the feature which implements the DB2 command line in i5/OS].

Although that command line may be there and available, whatever level is there, is surely verified by i5/OS development to be functional _only_ for the purpose(s) used by the i5/OS itself; at least until such time that someone can find some definitive documentation of what its supported features are. IIRC the function is there as part of the DataLink feature or any DB2 [XML] Extenders; to make the cross-platform code installation and some callable features compatible. Thus any other use of the feature would probably not be /supported/ by DB2 for i5/OS dev; i.e. for lack of _their_ need [in/for the features the utility is used to implement for the i5/OS], any errors, usability issues, etc. with the feature, would surely be ranked very low for any requested fixes.

Several days later I finally searched out the documentation, and I find for its functionality the following [which does closely match the DB2 LUW docs]:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/rzahz/rzahzdb2utility.htm

Notice that the documentation is the DB2 interface from QSH, not the direct call to the i5/OS program QZDFMDB2. If that program were supported for calls directly, there should be an entry in the API documentation.

But anyhow, for an example where expectations for its use, as compared to what dev might provide in response: A debug session while performing a SELECT, one can see that the FETCH is not multi-row. It is unlikely that the dev would to put out a /fix/ to make the DB2 feature faster for generating the results via multi-row fetch. Perhaps as a SUGgestion for a future release. Another example... SysRqs-2 to effect ENDRQS out of the CALL [versus the QSH CMD(DB2)] interface and trying to repeat the request might manifest an ugly error that probably prevents almost any future SQL CLI work in the job; probable response I would expect is "Do not do that [if it hurts]."

Regards, Chuck