Uh... does RPG come with logging out of the box?

I don't know if you would consider this stretching it, but we get logging
through the job an RPG program is running in - in essence we get logging for
*free*. Out of the box logging in J2EE gives you a single stdoutxxxxxx.log
file for all requests to dump into. I would consider logging that is built
into the OS a big plus - would you?

If you consider that too much plumbing, then we have some issues about
what the term "programmer" means.

Ok, so can we get off your high-horse of EGL never having to touch ANY
code outside of the EGL syntax?

No we can't! Setting up a datasource has nothing to do with programming,
any more than downloading PTFs. Or creating INDEXES, or adding journaling,
or setting up output queues. C'mon, be real here.

This was in reference to the custom Javascript coding you had to do in your
EGL app - you missed the transition as my comment at that juncture had
nothing to do with data sources. Would still like to hear your recant
though :-)

There's nothing wrong with a pure midrange solution; Nathan's had one for
a long time and it works like a charm. I just prefer that any advances in
web technology make it to me without me having to do any work, and by using
J2EE as my conduit to the web, that happens.

If you would have started out the whole conversation like this then we could
have both shaved a couple years off our carapl tunnel :-)

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com